Summer Reading: My Five Favorite Poe Pieces

Thursday, July 19, 2012

This summer, I decided that I would read the entire collection of a writer that I consider great. I thought about going after so many different people - everyone from Octavia Butler to Shakespeare - but finally settled on someone (creepily) close to my heart: Edgar Allan Poe!

There's my little Poe button. Whoo!
I finished reading his stories (all of which can be found here, by the way) about a week ago, and here's what I've come up with as my five favorite pieces.

1. "Murders in the Rue Morgue" and its sequels, "The Mystery of Marie Roget and "The Purloined Letter," which all feature a Watson-like character named Dupin unraveling the mystery for you at the end.

2. "The Black Cat," a chilling story that involves a basement and a cat (can't say much more beyond that).

3. "The Masque of the Red Death," a piece on a mysterious disease and a costume party.

4. "The Conqueror Worm," a poem about, well, sinister worms.

5. "The Bells," a poem about (you guessed it) sinister bells.

Bonus: Do you know about Poe's really poorly written play, his most boring essay "The Philosophy of Furniture," or his really long sea-faring novel? Check those out if you want to see the author not at his best.